Thursday, March 5, 2009

Blue...

So I have had enough of winter! This is the first time in 33 years that I have felt seriously "blue" during the winter! The snow was great-- didn't get enough, and didn't last long enough... but I love snow. It is just the dreary days leading up to and following the snow that brings me down. This weekend is supposed to be nice, yay! Then next month Marc and I are celebrating our 10th anniversary in Hawaii. That should bring some serious cheer when it is desperately needed!

So passing my time this past week, I decided to learn something new. I learned to knit last year... made a couple hats, then spring and summer came and I let it go for a while. I picked it back up in the fall and have since made a ton of cute things, mostly hats...here's a few (yes, there is more if you can believe it):





Most of the yarn I use is hand-dyed yarn. It's expensive and sold in quantities much greater than what I need for a little hat. So I stumbled upon a tutorial showing how to dye your own yarn with Wilton's Icing Dyes (yes folks, that stuff that you put into food can permanently dye wool-- that is scary-- wonder what it dyes on the way down to your stomach). Ironically Michael's had a 50% off yarn sale that same week... so look what happened:





Now in order to set dye, you have to use vinegar... a lot of it... and heat...so our kitchen smells like a mix of wool and vinegar. Marc says it smells like chicken wings... which in theory isn't so bad. Anyway, I think I have enough to keep me busy for at least another year!

No comments: